Job Type: Full Time with an initial 3 months’ Probation
Qualification: MSc in English, Creative Writing, Communication, Public Administration, Development Studies, International Development, International Relations, or other fields relevant to advocacy and knowledge management.
Location: Owerri, Imo State
Job Field: Feminist NGO/Non-Profit
Summary of Position: For this specific position Alliances for Africa (AfA) is seeking for a female Programme Officer based in Owerri or willing to relocate. This person is expected to support all project efforts related to community engagement and mobilization, advocacy, knowledge management such as developing/documenting, reviewing and reporting, programme tracking, and supporting the evidence and AfA’s learning agenda to enhance advocacy in policy coherence/shift; sustainable financing; and support visibility and communications activities for the organization. She will operate under the direct supervision of the Program Manager and the overall guidance of the Executive Director
Specific Job Responsibilities:
- Write proposals, concept notes, activity reports, draft contracts and follow through with the process of securing grants/funding for continuous and sustainability of AfA’s interventions, in addition, develop advocacy brief for strategic national and state engagement;
- Assist in budget preparation and expense management activities for programs with the finance team and program manager;
- Document, analyze and troubleshoot program challenges from project start date to end date;
- Develop best practices to improve overall program performance; Identify and build contact with new program partners for project expansion and growth;
- Facilitate, plan and execute program activities in timely and accurate manner;
- Conduct monthly program reviews and prepare reports for management;
- Prepare meeting agenda, organize meetings and write distribute minutes;
- Contribute to formulation of key advocacy messages and targets from lessons learned;
- Contribute to content development for website management, e-communications, content creation and community management on AfA social media sites
- Provide guidance and maintain frequent communications with program partners via emails, whatsApp and any other platforms;
- Produce write-ups for publications on assessments, research and evidence gained through project implementation;
- Develop and maintain strategic relationships with a network of external contacts like key individuals in the government, NGO sector, civil society and the media;
- Provide regular updates and reports to the Programme Manager, on progress, priorities and constraints – verbally and in writing on an agreed frequency;
- Represent AfA at various meetings, forums and advocacy opportunities as directed and approved by the Program manager;
- Perform other duties as required.
Education and Experience: Advanced University degree in English, Creative Writing, Communication, Public Administration, Development Studies, International Development, International Relations, Sociology, or other fields relevant to advocacy and knowledge management and at least Minimum of 3 years cognate working experience relevant to project implementation; advocacy and knowledge management.
- Understanding of project management life cycle
- Understanding of advocacy and policy coherence
- Understanding of knowledge management and public policy
- Problem solving and good analytical skills
- Collates accurate and timely information presented in required format
- Demonstrates specialised knowledge of technical communications best practice.
- Demonstrated ability to produce high-quality written outputs.
- Ability to work as part of a team, participating in open dialogues and valuing diverse opinions of others, regardless of gender, culture, background, and experience
Proficient computer literacy
- Knowledge of gender issues, advocacy, research and policy development.
- Excellent presentation, facilitation, problem-solving and analytical skills.
- Ability to communicate (written and verbal) effectively with a wide range of audiences at various levels.
- Ability to work independently and manage various projects with limited supervision.
- Good knowledge and use of MS Suite (excel, word, power point and outlook)
How to apply: Interested candidates are requested to apply by submitting:
- A maximum 2 page cover letter indicating their interest, motivation for applying with verifiable address;
- Attach a maximum 3 page CV;
- Attach relevant documents supporting your academic and/or professional experience;
- 2 work and related referees.
Application Closing Date:
Kindly send your application with the heading – Application for Communications Officer email@example.com not later than 9th January, 2023