Alliances for Africa (AfA)
Communications Intern Vacancy
Deadline: 31 May 2018
Job Title: Communication Intern
Reports to: Communication Officer/ Programmes Manager
Location: Owerri, Imo State, Nigeria with opportunities to travel with approval by Programs Manager.
Job brief: We are looking for a Communications Assistant as an intern to provide administrative support to various teams and programs. Editing and writing materials will be an important part of your job. In this role, you should be an excellent communicator with strong attention to details. If you also have administrative and social media marketing experience, we’d like to meet you. Ultimately, your goal will be to help ensure clear communication of our organization message across all channels.
Duties and Responsibilities:
• Help implement communications strategies
• Provide administrative support to programs and internal teams
• Draft and edit communications copy (e.g. press releases, publications, social media posts)
• Assist in maintaining web content and executing social media strategies by creating and uploading content to various platforms such as Twitter, Facebook, LinkedIn or the company blog.
• Update databases and media lists
• Write articles, interviews and short blurbs for organization’s newsletter, email campaign or publication. This involves conducting research, writing pieces of content, editing that content and submitting it for release
• Track projects and media exposure
• Facilitate effective internal communications
• Maintain calendars and appointments
• Scheduling meetings, preparing presentations, gathering materials for conferences, processing mail and making travel arrangements.
• Prepare presentations and reports
• Understanding of media relations and digital media strategies
• Proficient in MS Office; familiarity with design software (e.g. Photoshop, InDesign) and content management systems is a plus
• Solid editing and researching skills
• Excellent communication abilities (oral and written)
• Strong attention to detail
• Organizational skills
• OND/HND/BSc/BA in English, Literature and Communications or a related field is desired.
Required Skills: Successful Intern must be calm, cool and collected individuals who have an eye for detail and thrive in a fast-paced environment.
• Exceptional organization and fastidious attention to detail are important skills for Communications intern to have.
• Interpersonal Skills: Must have great interpersonal skills and be able to seamlessly carry a conversation.
• Strong Writing: In order to produce clear, concise and professional press releases, articles, blog posts and email campaigns, Communications intern need to have solid writing and editing skills.
• Ability to Multitask: Having the ability to multitask is crucial for Communications intern, since they’ll often find themselves bouncing between administrative work, meetings, writing and public relations events.
• Teamwork: Most of the things that a Communications intern will do, from scheduling meetings to writing press releases, will be a collaborative effort which will require input from multiple sources. Because of this, Communications intern need to be great team players.
Location: Owerri Imo State, Nigeria
If your background, experience and competencies match the specifications above, apply by sending your CV, cover letter including a three hundred word article on any social issue as it relates to women, as word attachments, indicating your daytime telephone numbers, address and names of three referees to email@example.com copy firstname.lastname@example.org. Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted.
No phone calls please! No personal callers to the office. Only shortlisted candidates would be contacted.
About AfA:For more information about AfA and the work we do kindly visit our websites: www.alliancesforafrica.org.